For many people around the world, fashion education means just one thing: FIT. Our Fashion Design program—one of FIT's original degree programs—2020欧洲杯外围网站has been preparing students for success at every level, from haute couture to ready-to-wear to mass market, for 65 years.
2020欧洲杯外围网站The program keeps evolving along with fashion itself, but some FIT traditions are forever: First, our close ties to the industry let us immerse you in what's happening now in this fast-changing field. And our own brand of fashion education nurtures your creativity while providing a rigorous grounding in the practical and technical skills needed for career success, exposing you to the real demands and practices of the fashion world.
You'll learn the fundamentals of professional draping, patternmaking, and sewing techniques. You'll master computer-aided design (CAD), and learn how to take a design from concept to finished garment. This singular program guides you to become not only a designer with your own creative vision, but a professional prepared to take your place in this challenging industry.
- Located on New York's Seventh Avenue—also known as Fashion Avenue—FIT has been a part of the fashion industry since 1944.
- Faculty members are seasoned professionals with current experience, opening doors to the industry.
- Top designers serve as critics, helping students create an outfit to present in an on-campus exhibition (AAS) or the annual student runway show, the (BFA). Critics have included Carolina Herrera, Norma Kamali, Gemma Kahng, Calvin Klein, and Bob Mackie.
- The CFDA (Council of Fashion Designers of America), Cotton Incorporated, and Lululemon Athletica are among many sponsors of student competitions that provide opportunity and experience.
- An internship at a leading fashion house gives you experience and valuable connections. Internship sites have included Donna Karan, Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, and Tommy Hilfiger, among many others.
In this program, you will:
- connect with industry leaders at guest lectures and industry events, and build a network of valuable contacts.
- find inspiration at The Museum at FIT, where you will study its world-class collection of couture, designer, and historical garments close up.
- have the opportunity to study abroad. Programs include the unique International Fashion Design degree that allows first-year students to begin their studies in Italy.